Family Support Services
Family support services are open to all members of the law enforcement community and their families - not just members of Backing the Blue Line. If you would like to request assistance, please use this online form. We will review the request and respond according to our Standard Operating Procedures.
Did you know?
Family Support offers help and support to Minnesota law enforcement officers (LEO) and their families on so many different levels but we can not help them unless we hear about them. We need YOU to be our eyes and ears. Even if the officer or their family does not fit into one of the levels below fill out the form at the top of the page anyways because we ALWAYS send some sort of support. Just remember "When in Doubt, Fill it Out!" Here are a few of the different things we send support for:
- When a LEO is injured on duty (whether it is big or small)
- When an officer is injured off duty or has a serious illness (for example cancer, heart attack, stroke, car accidents, mental health, ptsd, we also consider other events that cause injury to no fault or control of the injured officer)
- When a LEO's child is on hospice or has died When a LEO K-9 is injured on duty When a LEO is involved in a shooting (whether they are injured or not)
- When there is a line of duty death When there is an unexpected non line of duty death of a current licensed and active LEO (for example heart attack, accident, suicide, etc.) This would not include retired LEO’s or deaths that were expected in nature (long term illness).
If you have questions or have an urgent need for yourself, your family or someone else, please contact our Family Support Co-Chairs at:
- Jeni - firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Melissa - email@example.com
If you are a paid btbl member and are interested in volunteering or helping with family support please contact Jeni for more information.
Christmas in June
We are excited to announce we will be starting "Christmas in June" this year! Similar to our Not So Blue Christmas program, a law enforcement family in need will be nominated and selected to receive extra help and support in the summer months. Projects could be home improvement related, yard related, auto repairs, etc. Upon notification of the selected family, Family Support will work with the family to meet the current needs of that family.
Voting has been sent out to paying members, and BtBL will announce a winner at our monthly meeting on May 5th. Stay tuned!
Injured Officer Support
BtBL offers support to injured officers and their families in the state of Minnesota. A sub-group of wives, known as “Police Angels” will contact the departments of any injured officer to see what sort of services they may need. We will then work with the injured officer and their family as needed. BtBL also promotes and attends benefits.
Not So Blue Christmas
Each year, Backing the Blue Line chooses a law enforcement family to sponsor for Christmas. We have in the past bought Christmas gifts, sent the family to concerts, paid for family camping trips, renovated houses, and much more. There are no limits to what we can do for our Christmas family and our response is based on their need.